My flickr pictures
gomattolson...

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Vertigo

Last night we saw U2 at Philips Arena. It was absolutely amazing. Hands-down the best visual show and production I've ever seen. I would try to describe the cool LED-on-a-string like retractable curtains, but I think it would take pages, and I'm pretty sure I'd lose everyone* a paragraph into it. Instead, you can read about it here, in the section called "BIRTH OF THE MiSPHERE".

As far as all-time favorite concerts go, it's definitely in the top 5. I'm still excited about it 24hrs later, and I pretty much sang U2 songs in my head all day today. My favorites were a tie between: Sunday Bloody Sunday, Elevation, and Love And Peace Or Else (where Bono and Larry played together at the front of the stage).

I went with Diana and Li, and during the show Li text-messaged a number to support the One Campaign. The reply was something like, "Hi, this is Bono. Thanks for supporting the One Campaign..." So for the train ride home Li kept on telling us that Bono text-messaged him personally and that we missed out.

The only odd part of the show was when Bono led the crowd in a rendition of Happy Birthday, sung to none other than Ted Turner. Apparently he helped out U2 back in the day before they were ultra-popular.

Also, I called my brother during "One" and left a 4 minute message. The quality of course wasn't the best, but Mike did correctly recognize the song.

The set list:
------------------------
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
Original Of The Species
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna A Surriento (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
MLK

Encore(s):
Until The End Of The World
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
The First Time
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Bad

*assuming anyone actually reads this.

No comments: