My flickr pictures
gomattolson...

Monday, May 01, 2006

Niki in the Garden

About a year ago I became a member of the Atlanta Botanical Garden (Nowakowski and I opened up a family account together – I still get mail with both our names on it). Recently I received a members-only invite to come to the opening night of Niki in the Garden – the world’s largest exhibition of artist Niki de Saint Phalle’s outdoor sculptures.

Lauren and I thought it would be a fun date and decided to attend. The Botanical Garden is definitely one Atlanta landmark that I will truly miss, and this exhibit is a perfect example of why. They do a fantastic job of lighting the Garden at night, and you can tell they took lots of care in picking where to place each sculpture. I’ve personally never heard of Niki de Saint Phalle, but I loved her work.

Her sculptures are huge, and they are built tough and meant to be touched and played on, in, and around. They’re metal frames that are “brilliantly embellished with mirrors, glass, semi-precious stones, and ceramic mosaics”. If you eve get the chance to see her work, I’d highly recommend a visit.

Pictures will be Flickrized shortly.

No comments: