My flickr pictures
gomattolson...

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Call me MacGyver

I decided to follow in my dad's footsteps this year and purchase a real Christmas tree. Being cheap and having a small car with no roof rack led me to buy a tree small enough for my wallet as well as my trunk (or in native Volkswagen terminology, the boot).

My Dad gave me a few tips, which I followed:
  1. Cut the last inch off of the tree
  2. Put the tree in warm water first, in order to open up the tree's pores so it will more readily drink up water
Not having a real saw, I broke out my Leatherman SuperTool and started sawing away using the handy little blade. It surprisingly worked like a charm; the SuperTool lived up to it's name.

Then, to continue my MacGyverness, I washed out an old shampoo bottle and cut off one end of it. Then, I cut some more holes in it so I could weave a twist-tie through it and around one of the tree branches. The result? A handy little tree-watering funnel.

And for some reason, I now have an urge to break out of a jail cell using a battery, a couple paper clips, a rubber band, and a belt buckle...and I have an overwhelming desire to cut my hair into a mullet...(again)....

1 comment:

Brad said...

Definitely go for the mullet. Or at least send me a picture of you with a mullet, if indeed you've done it before...