My flickr pictures
gomattolson...

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Is Elvis in the building?

So I didn't quite make it to Iowa tonight. Not even close in fact. I'm sitting in my Holiday Inn hotel room in Memphis, Tennessee, loving the free wireless internet.

My connection flight to Memphis became a stay-over once NWA realized they oversold the plane by a whopping 7 people. They were looking for volunteers to give up their seats, and no one was budging. One woman was crying at the front desk, saying she had to get home tonight because her father had just passed. You could tell that she was genuinely upset and not just making up some story. I told the agent working the counter that I would give up my seat only if it went to her. It will probably be the best Christmas present I give this year.

But the story doesn't stop there...

The world is a small place. Iowa is even smaller. So naturally, when the 7 of us were taking the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, I found out that a couple was from Livermore, IA -- just down the road from Thor. We even talked about the ever-popular (and only place to dine) Unkies Restaurant in Thor. Small world.

But the story still doesn't stop there...

I went to the hotel restaurant and sat at the bar next to one of the seven that was bumped. We got to talking and figured out that his daughter not only went to ISU and lives in Minneapolis, but she is good friends with my friend Sara T from work. Really small world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of "Memphis in May" but never Memphis in December! I hope you make it safe to Thor. Send my Holiday Greetings to the whole Olson clan.